Every Thursday, from 01/04/2018 to 02/22/2018, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Spiritual University Winter Term 2018
Thursdays 6:30 - 8:00 pm
january 4 - february 22
MYSTICISM, EMPOWERMENT & RESISTANCE
To experience the mystical presence of the sacred is to be empowered to resist the supposed normalcy of civilization that insists on using violence and domination to achieve its idea of imperial peace. In eight incisive and insightful sessions John Dominic Crossan, Sr. Joan Chittister, and the late Marcus Borg come together to present an inspiring alternative to the worldview that “might makes right” and that success and winning are all that matter. The series is DVD-based and viewing will be followed by group discussion. Topics include:
- Empowerment & Spirituality (Joan Chittister)
- Mysticism: The Violent & the Non-Violent) (John Dominic Crossan)
- Mysticism, Empowerment & Resistance in the Bible (Marcus Borg)
- Catherine of Siena (Joan Chittister)
- Empowerment: The Individual & Community (John Dominic Crossan)
- Mysticism, Empowerment & Resistance Today (Marcus Borg)
- Franz Jagerstatter (Joan Chittister)
- Resistance: The Negative & the Positive (John Dominic Crossan)
The series will be moderated by the Rev. Emil Belsky. Ordained in the Roman Catholic Church in 1974, Fr. Emil has been an Episcopal priest since 1993 and holds degrees in Philosophy, Theology, and Christian Spirituality. He also has experience working in the fields of adult psychiatric counseling and management consulting. He retired as Rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Salt Lake City, in 2013.
Spiritual University is in its sixth year as an ecumenical, interfaith project of progressive thought and learning sponsored by the Episcopal Church of the Nativity. People of all faith traditions or none at all are welcome. Courses are offered three times yearly—Fall, Winter, and Spring. A nominal tuition fee is charged for each course but scholarships are available if payment is a hardship! Tuition fee is $20.00.